Friday, June 8, 2018

Graduation Speech - 2018 - Union Middle School

Below is my graduation speech for the Union Middle School class of 2018. 

As shared below, I wrote this speech three months earlier. Often, it is a middle school story, a silly student interaction, or just a simple swing dancing video that inspires the graduation speech. This year was no different.

One of our staff members, Carla Dunavan, helped with the editing. Another staff member, Jennifer Zangwill, assisted with a second peer review. As always, my wife provided multiple suggestions on how to improve the speech. In the end, I think it came together quite well and will be one of my favorite speeches during my time at Union Middle.

Giving the speech was a challenge in itself. For whatever reason, I'm often ill during the last week of school each year, dating back to my teaching days. This year, I lost my voice and threw out my back. Fun times, especially in preparation for our promotion ceremony. It all ended well as I managed to get through the speech without (too much of an) issue and wish the class of 2018 the best in their future endeavors.  This has been such an interesting class of students. There is so much potential within them. I'm hopeful they continue to make us proud. 

Thank you parents for your support over the past three years. 

Thank you staff for your continued dedication to our students.

And thank you students for just being you. 

Here is the graduation speech. Enjoy.

-Todd



Good Evening Everyone,


For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Todd Feinberg, and I have been privileged to have been the principal of Union Middle School for the past six years. It is an honor to stand in front of you all today and means a great deal to me. I truly care about each and every one of my Union Tigers. I hope you all will keep in touch.


I’m writing this speech on March 16th, just under three months ago. It’s a Friday night. My children are slowly falling asleep. I’m sitting on the living room couch, thinking how to best express my love and appreciation for you, the Union Middle School class of 2018.


It’s a bit odd to write a promotion speech months in advance. Truth be told, I was inspired by a swing dancing video that Mr. Barbara sent me this afternoon. We’ll get to the video in a bit.


I’m not sure if this graduating class remembers the 8th grade assembly we had back in early March. At this assembly, I shared my hope and expectations for the positive legacy our 8th graders would leave over the last trimester of their final year at Union Middle School. Our students may recall that I used memes during the presentation. Our students may also recall that none of them laughed at any of the memes. That’s ok... I thought the memes were amusing… Perhaps unsurprisingly, the only thing that got a reaction during our presentation was when I mentioned the video game Fortnite. (I’m anticipating that I’m going to have to pause while everyone under the age of 17 squealed at the mere mention of Fortnite.) Ah yes, Fortnite.


At this assembly with the 8th grade class, I mentioned my daughters.
I shared how my wife and I adopted them from Russia six and a half years ago.
I explained how they attend their local school just across the street from our house each day for first grade.
I shared how they both have massive special needs.
I then shared that they don’t have any friends.
None, I said.
I let you, my 8th grade class, know how hard this was on me, not your principal but just a parent, to see their student, my special needs daughters, struggle at making friends.


And I shared that all I wanted for my daughters was for their classmates to just be inclusive and to be kind. It’s what I asked of you, our 8th grade students, at this assembly for the remainder of their school year and beyond: Be Kind.


This is where our 8th grade students got quiet with compassion. Pindrop silent.


This is who you are, my promoting class of three hundred forty four young, rambunctious, silly teenagers. You are caring young adults. You are as inclusive as a teenager can attempt to be. At Union Middle and in our local community, we see you trying your best to lead with sincere care and concern.


We love to be near your infectious kindness. It is what I admire most of you and what I know will bring you much success in your upcoming endeavors, whatever they may be.


This 8th grade class is reflective about their shortcomings and interested in their dreams. They have an incredible amount of support from their family, friends, and Union Middle School teachers. This class is incredibly magnetic, charming, interesting, and, most of all, kind.


This is the class of 2018.


And so, on March 16th, Mr. Barbara sent me a swing dancing video.


In the video, there was an 8th grade girl swing dancing with a 7th grade boy. The bleachers were filled as many of our 8th grade students, all sitting respectfully and encouraging the two students during their dance. They did a two minute swing dance routine, quite impressively going through all of the correct steps. At the end, just before they returned to their seats, they were met with applause from the crowd, who were showing their appreciation for the performance.


And while this seems like a rather uneventful video during this retelling, I couldn’t help but wish that my 1st grade daughters had a mentor friend, just like this 8th grade student. A friend who took the initiative to partner with them in school activities. A classmate who helped make their school days a bit brighter. A young, rambunctious, silly teenager who believed in inclusion for all kids, no matter the social circle they all belonged to.


To this 8th grade female student, partnering with the 7th grade boy wasn’t anything special. Here, in middle school, where kids often drown in self-awareness and a fear of being teased for being kind to someone a bit different, she was thrilled to perform the dance, to lead the 7th grade boy through the routine, and incredibly compassionate as she encouraged him by the hand to bow before the crowd of their peers at the end of their performance.




You may have noticed that we did not hand out the Principal’s Award earlier. Instead, it is at this moment that I’d like to announce the student selected by the principal (that’s me) for their dedication and commitment to UMS over the past three years. Simply put, this student is something special. She is incredibly gracious, the type of student leader we need for these current times, and often, just with a smile or a helping hand, has a way to make middle school a much better place for everyone involved. It also happens to be the same 8th grade student from the swing dance story I’ve just shared. (pause as people murmur and figure out who gets the award)


I would like to recognize Nicole as this year’s recipient of the 2018 Principal’s Award.


(pause for award)


What Nicole did on this random day on March 16th is what most mirrors what I see in this 8th grade class.


While every class has shortcomings, there is no better quality that I’d want for a class than to be kind.


And you, the class of 2018, are truly a class of grace. You have all shown the ability to be incredibly compassionate. I wish my daughters had you as their classmates, if only because of how inclusive I’ve found the class of 2018 to be.


In my promotion speeches, I’ll often share advice about high school, what to do, to try your best, to stay away from excess time on technology, how you should always listen to your parents... blah blah blah… I’m not going to do that tonight.


Instead, I will close with just one request for the class of 2018: please continue to be kind. If so, I know you, and those around you, will be more than ok on your post middle school journey.


Thank you to the class of 2018 for the memories. We will miss you. Congratulations on your promotion.

1 comment:

  1. Inspiration with a touch of humor. Beautifully expressed the importance and the need to spread kindness.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A long road to travel, often alone but never by yourself...

If you asked any Union Middle School staff member what my three favorite things were, I suspect they would respond with the following answer...